Pinterest is a social media platform that enables users to curate and share images, GIFs, and videos through their account pinboards. Users can save pins to their boards and create customized digital scrapbooks. Pinterest's popularity continues to grow, and many merchants have found considerable success through its advertising services.
At Step 1, select the Website option or App option or both.
Answer some questions about your website or app.
Answer some questions about your business.
- 2. Complying with Pinterest's Legal Policies
- 2.1. Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement
- 2.1.1. Only Process Personal Data For Lawful Reasons
- 2.1.2. Keep Consumers Informed
- 2.1.3. Forward Joint Processing Requests to Pinterest
- 2.2. Pinterest's Terms of Service Agreement
- 2.3. Pinterest's Business Terms of Service Agreement
- 2.4. Pinterest's Community Guidelines
- 2.5. Pinterest's Advertising Guidelines
- 2.6. Pinterest's Merchant Guidelines
- 2.7. Pinterest's Ad Data Terms
- 3. Complying With Applicable Laws
- 3.1. CCPA (CPRA) Requirements
- 3.2. GDPR Requirements
- 3.3. PIPEDA Requirements
- 4.1. The Types of Information You Collect
- 4.2. How You Use the Information You Collect
- 4.3. How You Comply With Location-Specific Laws
- 4.4. How Users Can Access, Edit, or Delete Their Personal Information
- 4.5. How Users Can Opt Out of Use of Information
- 4.6. How and With Whom You Share Users' Personal Information
- 4.7. How Long You Retain Users' Personal Information
- 4.8. Your Contact Information
- 4.9. Information Required by the Joint Controller Addendum
- 6. Summary
- To comply with Pinterest's legal policies
- To comply with applicable laws
Pinterest requires its users to comply with its legal agreements and guidelines, and anytime you engage in targeted advertising (marketing based on tracking consumers' online behavior) you need to be aware of any state or global privacy laws that may apply to you.
Complying with Pinterest's Legal Policies
Pinterest requires its users to abide by its legal policies, including its Advertising Services Agreement, Terms of Service agreement, Business Terms of Service agreement, and Ad Data Terms. Pinterest merchants must also follow its Advertising, Merchant, and Community Guidelines.
We'll look at the requirements of each below.
Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement
Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement is a document that governs advertisers' use of Pinterest's Ad Services. It outlines the terms that you must agree to in order to advertise on Pinterest, including complying with all of its legal policies and agreeing to its payment and cancellation terms.
Certain Pinterest advertisers must also comply with PASA's Data Sharing Addendum and Joint Controller Addendum, which are located towards the end of the Advertising Services Agreement linked above.
Pinterest has updated its Advertising Services Agreement with a Joint Controller Addendum that applies to the joint processing of personal data that is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The Joint Controller Agreement applies to joint controllers that offer goods or services to or control or process personal data belonging to residents of the European Union and the United Kingdom.
The GDPR is the EU's primary data protection law. It defines a joint controller as two or more data controllers that work together to decide the reasons for processing consumers' personal data. Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement defines Pinterest advertisers and Pinterest Europe as joint controllers.
The Advertising Services Agreement defines joint processing as the collection and transmission of activity data through any Ad Service features (such as the Pinterest Tag or Pinterest API) that allow you to share activity data from your website, store, or mobile app.
Activity data is personal data that is shared in connection with Pinterest's Ad Services.
Pinterest sent an email to its users informing them about the updates it made to its Advertising Services Agreement, including incorporating a
"Joint Controller Addendum, which clarifies the responsibilities of Pinterest Europe Limited and our advertisers in relation to personal data subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including as it applies in the UK. (Pinterest, 2023)"
The email goes on to encourage advertisers that process personal data to update their Privacy Policies to reflect the Advertising Services Agreement's changes:
The Joint Controller Addendum requires Pinterest advertisers to:
- Only process personal data for lawful reasons
- Notify data subjects (the people the personal data belongs to) about how they handle personal data, and
- Forward any requests they receive regarding joint processing to Pinterest
Only Process Personal Data For Lawful Reasons
One of the following must apply for data processing to be lawful:
- The data subject has given consent
- The data processing is necessary to fulfill or for the data subject to enter into a contract
- The data processing is necessary for the controller to fulfill a legal obligation
- The data processing is necessary to protect the "vital interests" (when the processing is a matter of life or death) of an individual
- The data processing is necessary for the public interest
- The data processing is necessary for the "legitimate interest" (such as marketing, fraud prevention, or IT security) of the data controller or a third party (unless those interests conflict with the data subject's rights, especially if the data subject is a child)
Article 6 of the GDPR outlines the legal reasons for processing personal data:
Keep Consumers Informed
- What information you use Ad Data Features for
- Your reasons for joint processing
- That you and Pinterest Europe have entered into the Joint Controller Agreement to comply with the GDPR's joint processing requirements
- That you are responsible for providing data subjects with the information required by the GDPR
- That Pinterest Europe is responsible for enabling data subject's rights under the GDPR in regard to their personal data being stored by Pinterest
- Data subjects' right to object to the processing of their personal data
- How you keep the personal data used with joint processing safe
- What you do in the case of a data breach (including if and how you communicate the data breach to the data subject)
Forward Joint Processing Requests to Pinterest
Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement requires you to forward any joint processing requests you receive from data subjects or a supervisory authority to Pinterest within 7 calendar days of receiving the request:
Next, let's take a look at the other legal policies that advertisers must comply with in order to use Pinterest's Ad Services.
Pinterest's Terms of Service Agreement
Pinterest's Terms of Service agreement describes the rules its users must abide by to use its services. Pinterest's Terms of Service agreement explains that any users who wish to use Pinterest for commercial reasons must agree to its Business Terms of Service agreement:
Pinterest's Business Terms of Service Agreement
Pinterest's Business Terms of Service agreement applies specifically to Pinterest merchants and explains that they must comply with all of its policies, including its Community Guidelines.
Pinterest merchants must also ensure that the content they post (including content from third parties) complies with applicable laws:
Pinterest's Community Guidelines
Pinterest's Community Guidelines explains that paid partnerships and affiliates must comply with applicable advertising laws:
Pinterest's Advertising Guidelines
Pinterest's Advertising Guidelines requires users of its ad services to respect privacy rights:
The Advertising Guidelines also describe restricted Pinterest ads service data collection practices, including:
- Using data that you receive for purposes other than understanding Pinterest campaigns
- Sharing data with a third party
- Combining collected data with information that could be used to identify a user, browser, or device
The Advertising Guidelines go on to explain that you must tell users and get their consent whenever you collect, share, or use their personal data used with a Pinterest ad service.
Pinterest's Merchant Guidelines
Pinterest's Merchant Guidelines explain that merchants must comply with applicable laws to use its service:
Pinterest's Ad Data Terms
Pinterest defines ad data as any personal data that is shared in connection with its advertising service, such as for targeting or measuring ads. Pinterest's Ad Data Terms state that you must agree to the following when using its ad services:
- Disclose and get consent for cookies and User IDs
- Notify visitors to your website and app if their information will be shared with third parties for targeted advertising purposes
- Tell visitors how they can opt out of targeted advertising
Complying With Applicable Laws
The laws regulating targeted advertising include but aren't limited to the following:
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA/CPRA)
- The GDPR
- Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
CCPA (CPRA) Requirements
The CCPA (CPRA) applies to certain companies that do business within the state of California and gives California citizens the following rights:
- The right to access, correct, or delete their personal information
- The right to know what personal information is being collected and who it is sold to or shared with
- The right to opt out of the sale or sharing of their personal information
- The right to limit the use and disclosure of their sensitive personal information
- The right to exercise their rights without being discriminated against
The GDPR applies to anyone who provides goods or services to or collects or processes (uses) personal data belonging to residents of the EU. It gives EU consumers a similar set of rights to the CCPA. It requires applicable organizations to provide information about why they are collecting personal data, among other requirements.
PIPEDA applies to organizations that do business in Canada or collect, use, or share Canadian citizens' personal information. It requires businesses that meet its criteria to comply with its ten fair information principles.
Below are the clauses that you'll find in most compliant Privacy Policies.
The Types of Information You Collect
How You Use the Information You Collect
This clause explains what you do with users' personal information, such as using it to collect payments and ship orders, and for advertising purposes.
How You Comply With Location-Specific Laws
How Users Can Access, Edit, or Delete Their Personal Information
This clause explains the steps users can take to access, edit, or delete their personal information. You can also use this clause to describe any changes to your service that may occur if users choose to edit or delete their personal information.
It also provides a link to an email address where users can send in requests or questions concerning these rights:
How Users Can Opt Out of Use of Information
You should give users clear instructions for how they can opt out of the sale, sharing, or use of their personal information for targeted advertising.
How and With Whom You Share Users' Personal Information
Visitors to your website need to know whether you share the personal information you collect with any third parties and for what reasons. You should use this clause to list the types of third parties you share users' personal information with.
How Long You Retain Users' Personal Information
You can use this clause to inform users about how long you keep their personal information.
Your Contact Information
It's important to give users methods for contacting you. This can be an email address, a phone number, access to a web form, etc.
Information Required by the Joint Controller Addendum
Pinterest's Advertising Services Agreement contains a table describing the obligations Pinterest advertisers need to meet in order to comply with it and the GDPR:
Pinterest makes it easy to add a website link to your profile. You can use the website field of your Pinterest profile to either:
Log in to your Pinterest account
In the top right of the screen, click the down-arrow icon:
Click Settings within the menu:
On the left side of the screen, click Public profile:
Click Save at the bottom of the screen
Pinterest's legal agreements require merchants to:
- Comply with its Advertising Services Agreement (including its Joint Controller Addendum)
- Ensure that their content and any content they post from third parties complies with applicable laws
- Get consent from users before collecting their personal data
- Notify users if their personal information will be shared with third parties for targeted advertising
- Inform users how they can opt out of targeted advertising
- What types of personal information you collect
- How you use the personal information you collect
- How you comply with location-specific laws
- How users can opt out of the sale, sharing, or use of their personal data for targeted advertising and other rights they have
- What third parties you share personal information with
- How long you keep users' personal information
- Your contact information
- Information required by the Joint Controller Addendum