At Step 1, select the Website option or App option or both.
Answer some questions about your website or app.
Answer some questions about your business.
- 1. If You Use the Standard Features of Google Analytics
- 2. If You Use the Advertising Features of Google Analytics
- 2.1. Google Analytics Advertising Features
- 2.3. How visitors can opt out
If You Use the Standard Features of Google Analytics
There are a few things you need to do if you take advantage of the standard features offered by Google Analytics. We'll review them now and show you how to implement them.
Here's the clause in the Terms of Service agreement that sets forth these requirements and provides suggestions for meeting them:
This makes it easy for users to locate and view your agreement whenever they want to.
Because so many businesses place their legal agreement links in their website footer, people know to check there.
Give users the ability to opt out of having cookies placed for the purposes of Google Analytics and let them know that they have this right.
While the exact language you should include isn't provided by Google, you should focus on being clear, concise, and informative.
Here's a checklist of what to include in your agreement:
- Let users know that you use remarketing and that this will advertise your company or website across other websites that users visit.
- Let users know that Google and other third-party vendors will show your ads on websites that users visit after visiting your website.
- Let users know that your ads will be shown on other websites because the user visited your website in the past.
- Let users know how they can opt out of this remarketing campaign through the Google Ad Settings page.
Here's a clause from NextRoll's Privacy Notice that's a great example of how to let users know all of this information:
Another clause in the Privacy Notice addresses how users can opt out of or adjust targeted ads and the use of their personal data:
NextRoll provides an AdChoices feature where a user can adjust advertising preferences quickly and easily. It's linked in the website footer:
Users who click on the link are taken to a screen where they are given the ability to adjust individual ad remarketing settings. Consent can be revoked or granted for all advertising and analytics cookies with one click, or individually adjusted:
If you use NextRoll, AdWords, or a different remarketing tool, you can add a link on your website to a page or module like this. Having something like this one is a great way to allow your users to choose which cookies they wish to allow and opt out of behavioral ads if they want to.
If You Use the Advertising Features of Google Analytics
Google Analytics Advertising tools lets you take the usage data and information you obtain from Google Analytics and use it for advertising purposes. Remarketing, also known as retargeting, is a widely used and incredibly popular function of Google Analytics.
Google Analytics Advertising Features
If your business is based in the EU or you sell to EU customers, there are additional requirements you must meet in order to satisfy the EU Cookies Directive because all remarketing service are based on cookies usage.
Visitors to your website or mobile app must give informed, specific, and voluntary consent to have cookies placed on their devices before any cookies are placed.
Use our Cookie Consent all-in-one solution (Privacy Consent) for cookies management to comply with GDPR & CCPA/CPRA and other privacy laws:
- For GDPR, CCPA/CPRA and other privacy laws
- Apply privacy requirements based on user location
- Get consent prior to third-party scripts loading
- Works for desktop, tables and mobile devices
- Customize the appearance to match your brand style
Create your Cookie Consent banner today to comply with GDPR, CCPA/CPRA and other privacy laws:
Start the Privacy Consent wizard to create the Cookie Consent code by adding your website information.
At Step 2, add in information about your business.
At Step 3, select a plan for the Cookie Consent.
You're done! Your Cookie Consent Banner is ready. Install the Cookie Consent banner on your website:
Display the Cookie Consent banner on your website by copy-paste the installation code in the
</head>section of your website. Instructions how to add in the code for specific platforms (WordPress, Shopify, Wix and more) are available on the Install page.
How visitors can opt out
How visitors can opt out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features you use, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI's consumer opt-out).
Google has its own available opt-out tool for Google Analytics that they encourage you to linking to, as noted earlier in this article. Linking to it is a great way to satisfy the requirement that users must be informed on how to opt-out.
- Collecting and Using Personal Information
- Usage Data
- Use of Personal Information
- Transfer of Personal Information
- Disclosure of Personal Information
- Security of Personal Information
- Detailed Information on the Processing of Your Personal Data
- Links to Other Websites
- Contact Information
More specific Privacy Templates are available on our blog.