These days major publications and corporations are announcing changes to their legal agreements and inform users through different means, like email or changes to the website.
All these 3 companies followed the best practices when it comes to informing users about changes to your legal agreements.
Because a top notification was limited, the text for the notice is kept short:
reddit's announcement was placed high on its front page - the famous "the front page of the Internet" - but also in the footer section across all webpages with an (updated) tag right after each link to reddit's legal agreements:
The frontpage announcement looked like this:
More information on the upcoming changes is added within a post that was linked to from the announcement on the frontpage:
Like Wikipedia, WaPo informed users about these changes by placing a top bar for users to see whenever they visited the website.
The Washington Post's notice has slightly more words without providing a summary of the upcoming changes:
But the notice bar can be closed by clicking the "x" (close) icon:
One of our many testimonials:
When you plan to update your legal agreements, make sure to inform users before the changes are coming and in effect.
Your users should know how any changes you make will affect them and their accounts with you.
Give users notice and give them a chance to opt-out or close their accounts, if they do not agree with the new terms.
If a notice bar is part of your campaign, here are the main takeaways from what Wikipedia, Reddit and WaPo did:
- Make sure that you clearly mention what agreements will be updated.
- Depending on where you intend to place the notice, keep the announcement short but to the point.
- Link to a landing page where you can provide more information about the changes.
- Design the notice bar with a close button. Regular users who already know about the changes shouldn't be bothered by the notification each time they visit your website.
- Give a summary of the changes, whenever possible.
- If possible, highlight the changes on the legal page: what was removed, what was added, what has changed.
- We're updating our Terms of Service. Learn how the changes may affect your account.
- Our Terms and Conditions will be updated. Learn more.
- And so on.